Group Music for All Ages, Led by Bakithi Kumalo
Musicians excel in a group. The EEA Rocks Band Program began as a group band project for tweens and teens in 2021 and has since developed into a full group music program that now includes opportunities for all ages:
- New Kids on the Rocks for 10-15 year olds
- EEA Rocks for 13-17 year olds
- Rock U for 18-30 year olds
- Better Late Than Never (BLTN) for 30 years and older
Director and Grammy Award winning musician Bakithi Kumalo focuses on enhancing individual skills, developing cohesion between band members, strengthening stage presence and performance, and teaching technical know-how.
Each band in each category is made up of 4-8 members and include vocals, guitars, bass, percussions, keys, and even violin. Horn and other string players are also encouraged to try. Some experience is necessary. Several EEA Rocks musicians have joined from a classical background to try something new, and some have even taken on new instruments while in the band. EEA provides mics, piano/keyboard, drum kits, and most electronic equipment on site for practice and performances.
Rockers can expect at least one performance as part of each semester, however more public gigs are added when available.
- End-of-Semester on EEA grounds [Riverhead]
- Mosaic Street Painting Festival [Riverhead]
- Southampton Youth Bureau's Battle of the Bands [Hampton Bays]
- Alive on 25 events [Riverhead]
- iTri/ Antigua & Barbuda Festival [Sag Harbor]
- EEA Summer Soirée [Riverhead]